Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Behind, But Looking Ahead

With the information and media age in full storm, I am feeling left behind these days. I remember conversations with my parents 30 years ago when I was trying to explain the basics of the Apple IIE computer. At some point I just gave up. It was too hard to explain. My parents weren’t stupid, if anything they were much smarter than I was, but the world had changed and they hadn’t.

Now it’s my turn. My son Nate is studying at “Tribeca Flashpoint Academy of Media Arts and Sciences” in Chicago. I don’t even know what the name means. When we talk I try to ask intelligent questions about his work. I’m 0 for 100. We can talk philosophy, religion, and politics, but when it comes to his work, it’s a different language. I have no idea what he actually does. My other son, Nick, is finishing up an undergraduate degree in Corporate Communication at Olivet Nazarene University. Again, we can talk philosophy, religion, and politics, but then he explains the impact of new technology and social media on all of the above and I’m left nodding like I used to do in Algebra class. I nod “yes,” but have no idea what's actually going on. Both conversations with my sons usually end with me saying, “Well, go get’em.” I think that’s what my Mom said to me 30 years ago.

Andy Stanley said something recently that has captured my attention and caused me to rethink my approach to everything new. He said, “I don’t want to become a critic when I should be a student.” He talked about how, as a youth pastor many years ago, the old timers would sit at the table and shake their heads at new ideas and methods for ministry. Now he finds himself in that seat and he’s determined to learn and listen instead of critique and criticize. Me too, Andy, let’s go get’em!

1 comment:

  1. I think Stanley nailed it. However, the vision of the new leaders today is one of much excitment and not so much thought. So I agree, sit back listen and learn the culture with guidence. The new generation may do it differnetly but we lack the experience to execute to the fullest potentional of our vision.

    ReplyDelete